A fall storm that sent waves crashing ashore in the northernmost U.S. community and caused at least $10 million in damage to roads, buildings and other facilities is part of a troublesome pattern in a new type of fall season along the coasts of northern and western Alaska. But current federal rules often mean such damage can't be covered by disaster funds.
President Donald Trump announced Monday that he would nominate Tara Sweeney, an executive vice president of Arctic Slope Regional Corp. and the former chair of the Arctic Economic Council to serve as Assistant Secretary of Indian Affairs in the Interior Department.
Polling & Social Science
Strategic Approach: Audiences, Engagement
The Trump administration has put a strain on efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The organization, Save EPA, works with congress and the public to ensure new standards are in place to counter attempts to roll back federal protections.
WHY YOU SHOULD TAKE A LOOK:
The tools and talking points discussed support individuals and groups that want to speak out in defense against regulatory rollback.
Participate in rulemakings to roll back or delay protections:
- Comment on the proposed rule change
- Testify at public hearings if there are any close to you
- Request meetings or phone calls with agency staff, managers and/or White House officials
Engage outside of the rulemaking process:
- Enlist your members of congress
- Use social and mainstream media campaigns
- Participate in mass letter-writing campaigns
- Stage or participate in demonstrations or other group actions
Join in the public conversation about regulations and the protections they provide
- If you hear something that is untrue, write back or say something
- Remain clear and civil in your communication
- Provide good information and fair analysis, not alternative facts
The Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation denied a climate change petition on Thursday submitted by a group of teens. The petition asked the state to reduce carbon emissions, monitor greenhouse gasses and come up with a long term climate change strategy.